Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Happy Independence Day!!!  At least in Ghana.    On March 6th 1957 Ghana declared independence from British rule. Today I spent the morning watching the official parade and festivities since it is a national holiday and students did not have school.  I can't say there were a lot of fireworks but it is clear that Ghanians are very patriotic.  It makes me realize how much I often take for granted living in the US which has been under democratic rule for such a long period.  Many people in the world don't have this freedom.


In the afternoon, I attended a lecture of the history of the Ghanaian Educational System.  Although school through 9th grade is free and compulsory, attending secondary school in this country is not free.  It costs anywhere from $500 to $1000 US dollars of tuition a year.  This doesn't include the fact that many students actually have to travel away from home to attend secondary schools and have to pay boarding fees.  Given that Ghana is one of the most progressive and safe countries in sub-Saharan Africa, it is amazing to think how many students simply don't have the opportunity to attend secondary school at all.

Ending the day, I had my first taste  of Ghanian Blackberries.  See the video below for more details of this tasty new treat.


5 comments:

  1. I was not able to connect with my classes today as I was using all of the time that I had teaching. Will try to get on tomorrow. Lucas Jensen's wife had a baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do a lot of the students go on to study at a college or university after 12th grade? Or is this uncommon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the usual school day like? Is the day similar to what we have here in the U.S.?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of the students who make it through secondary school actually do go on to university. The problem here is that a large part of the Ghanaian population never even goes to secondary school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The day is very different from that of the US. The students actually more or less stay put in classrooms where the students move around.

    ReplyDelete