Sunday, March 4, 2012

Akwaaba!!!!   I just learned today means "welcome" in the Akan language.  This language is native to Ghana and is spoken by about 1/2 of the population.  One of the most surreal things for me so far though is that almost everyone here speaks fluent English with a British accent.  This make sense since the country was at one point a British colony.  I have been many places but few so foreign in which English is the primary spoken language. 

The group (10 teachers and myself from all over the country) arrived today at about 2 pm Ghana time.  It is pretty hot and humid (32 deg C which is about 90 deg F).  We are 6 hours ahead of central standard time which means I have basically been up for 36 hours since I slept little on the 9 hour plane ride.  Below is a picture of my first meal.  Sorry of the low quality picture.  The meal was referred to as red-red.  It can best be described as a fish that has been cooked in a slightly spicy tomato sauce and served with fried plantains (basically across between a potato and a banana but not sweet).


To my students I am posing the following factor label problem.  Mr. Holzmiller, I would appreciate if you could see they tackle this one.

The currency in Ghana is the Cedi (see picture below).

So 1 US dollar = 1.67 Cedi.  If the cost of gasoline here is 1.71 Cedi per liter, and there are 3.78 L in 1 gallon, figure out how much money it would cost to fill up a 10.0 gallon tank of a Hyndai which tends to be a popular car model here.  Please respond as a class with the correct answer to this.

Tomorrow I will try to give a video blog update.  I am pretty jet lagged today

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pete
    Glad you are there safely! Not sure I'm up for red, red - you'll have to let me know how it tasted! As for the equation - I'll work on it tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capperino/ChemistryMarch 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

    Mr. Peterson this is my Pre IB Chemistry Class Block C. They have come up with $107.95 I hope that it is correct. Mr. Holzmiller is having difficulty getting into your school account. It will not let him in. We will work on it today during prep. Do you think we could know more about the schools that you are visiting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got the same answer as block C. Have you seen any exotic animals yet? How did they greet you? ( these are questions from my class) What are the greatest challenges to Teachers of science in Ghana? What do you do when you are not teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Pre-IB Chemistry class. I can't say that I have many wild animals to date. Tomorrow the school's are on holiday because it is Ghana's independence day. By the end of the week I will let you know more...

    ReplyDelete